Please note: There is currently NO recycling pickup in Abaco. Some community members are still recycling Bahamian brand beer bottles. If you are interested in starting a business, there are recycling opportunities available! Contact FRIENDS and we can connect you with the former recycling business owners.
Recycling efforts in Abaco started with the recycling of aluminum cans in 2006 and grew by leaps and bounds. With the combined efforts of Friends of the Environment, Bahamas Tourism and local companies efforts were being made to recycle cans, bottles, batteries, oil, cars, and various scrap metals.
** Please note that the majority of these sites are not actively recycling at this time. We will update this page if things change.
- The main bin is located on the corner near Every Child Counts, on the back road near the turn off to Batelco.
- Additional sites: Snappa’s Restaurant for restaurant and boat collection; New Vision Ministry and for school use only; Forest Heights Academy
- Car and boat batteries are being collected at most gas stations with hope of boatyard depots in the future.
16 recycling bins are located throughout the Treasure Cay area.
- House recycling and collection is in full swing in Cherokee, a collection bin is located in town.
- Can recycling is being implemented in Cherokee School.
- Car and boat battery recycling has also been recently implemented.
- Cans and bottles are being collected for recycling at the local depot.
- Car and boat batteries can be recycled at the local gas station.
The main recycling can bin is at Sunshine Park, across from the Hope Town Harbour Lodge. For north end residents, there is a can bin at the entrance to town.
Recycling can be included with your garbage pick up:
- Bag your cans separately for pick up at your residence
- Place beer bottles back in their case for pick up at your residence.
Recycling bins for aluminium cans are located:
- By the lumber yard warehouse
- Outside MOW Hardware
- Outside Island Treats by the picnic tables
- Dock N Dine Restaurant at the Marina is also recycling cans
- Two bins are located at the dump: one for cans, one for bottles, and a pallet for used car and boat batteries
Green Turtle Cay
Recycling depot is located at the Roland Roberts House in New Plymouth
Recycling depot is located at the Abaco Ocean Club marina, although smaller site may soon be available through out the island.