The primary focus of a FRIENDS summer internship is assisting the Outreach Coordinator and Education Officer with environmental summer camps. FRIENDS’ camps take place over six weeks in roughly three different communities, targeting five different age groups ranging from 3 years old to over 18. This internship is a great opportunity to gain hands on experience in marine education and conservation. Although the internship will focus on environmental education it will not be limited to summer camps. FRIENDS will also require assistance with basic office administration, fundraising, and other events throughout the summer on an as-needed basis.
Internship positions are available from June 17 – August 2. Priority for paid positions* will be given to Bahamian students who are available for all or the majority of the time frame listed. Working hours are 8:00 am- 4pm on week days. Although special events may require additional time, or occur on weekends.
- Valid Drivers License (preferred, not required)
- Strong Swimmer
- Previous classroom/ camp experience
- Must be motivated and have interests in the environmental field
- Organized, reliable and self-starting
*Note: We offer only 1-2 paid internships. Other positions are available but are unpaid.
- Assist with planning of and present classroom lessons
- Facilitate and participate in daily field trips to Abaco ecosystems, including mangroves, coral reefs, pine forest, sea grass beds and more
- After camp chores, includes setting up for the next day and tiding up camp space.
- Engage children in hands-on experiential activities.
- Lead icebreakers and break time activities
FRIENDS also hosts Bahamas Environment Steward Scholar (BESS) interns, high school work study students, and may have other opportunities throughout the year. Please contact us or visit our office to discuss how you can be involved with FRIENDS.