The Kenyon Centre will create new environmental education programs for Bahamian and visiting students, increase research conducted in Abaco and provide connections between the two to benefit conservation efforts locally, nationally and internationally.
The Kenyon Centre is an eight bedroom facility located in Marsh Harbour next to FRIENDS existing offices that will be able to house a total of 28 people. It will be available for hosting primary school, secondary school and University programs. Abaco is a natural center for research and environmental education, with eight established National Parks and protected areas, and three more under consideration, all of which are excellent sites for field trips and field work. Through FRIENDS’ broad range of programs visitors are able to engage in local grassroots conservation activities, enjoy environmental education experiences and participate in on-going research. FRIENDS can work with your school to provide a location for your existing programs or to create an itinerary to fit your needs.
The Kenyon Centre will provide:
- Reasonable accommodation prices, rates are based on length of stay and involvement in FRIENDS programs, please contact FRIENDS to discuss prices: Info@friendsoftheenvironment.org
- Access to kitchen facilities, wifi internet, basic lab facilities, which includes indoor bench space and covered outdoor porch, covered outdoor eating area, and indoor meeting/presentation space.
The Kenyon Centre Requires:
- Students are required to have their own insurance to cover activities during their stay in The Bahamas.
- Teachers and students are asked to adhere to the policies and posted rules of the Abaco Research Center.
- All visitors must have valid passports to enter The Bahamas.
FRIENDS supports the inclusion of local students and outreach to the Abaco community and are willing and able to assist in arranging those logistics. Outreach can the take form of classroom or school presentations, field trips or the creation of field courses in partnership with the researcher. The Abaco Research Center will also be looking for opportunities to partner with scientists on long term research projects to benefit the community and support our conservation goals. FRIENDS can provide a reduced rate for the Abaco Research Center based on the involvement of researchers in FRIENDS programs.
Reservations are made on a first come, first serve basis and must be guaranteed with a 50% deposit.